Monday, January 2, 2023

Why did I decide to read/Study Gita?

 


                                               (Image Source: Google). 

For long BhagVadGita proved to be elusive.

1.       When I was in college, my mother – a typical housewife, who wouldn’t read much – learned Gita by heart. She used to attend “Swadhyay Parivar” and she learned to Chant Gita. She never learned Sanskrit neither I saw her reading any Gita commentary.  I tried to learn but in vain. It made me curious how come?

2.       Unfamiliarity with Sanskrit – also kept me away from Gita. When I used to see others Chanting or reading or speaking on Gita authoritatively, I was amused. It made me curious how come?

3.       Often saw quotes/comments by eminent people on Gita. I read APJ Kalam, our past president mentioned he used to read, whenever he was in Dilemma. It made me curious – how such a scientific and modern bent of mind found solace in Gita.

4.       As a part of my doctoral journey, I did a seminar course on Karma Yoga. (Today I find it funny😀 ). And in hindsight, I can see that it was superficial. I did all the work – without even touching Gita. Karma Yoga is a core of the Gita (At least as presented in GitaRahasya by Bal Gangadhar Tilak). And It's laughable that I tried Karma Yoga without reading Gita. It made me further curious – to read in the original what's said about Karma Yoga in Gita.

5.       Last year I read a colossal biography of Mahatma Gandhi by Ram Guha (close to 1600 pages). Gandhiji gave a lot of credit to Gita. He called it "Eternal Mother" and "Spiritual reference book". I am curious – what made him call Gita so?

6.       Recently I was at a friend's place and he spoke about Vinoba Bhave and how his lectures on Gita delivered in prison were written down by another stalwart Sane Guruji. Vinoba Bhave called the book – Geetai. And translated it into lyrical Marathi.

7.       How these towering personalities – credit their strength to Gita. I am curious about it.

8.       I often face dilemmas even in mundane issues. And curious will Gita help me overcome it? 

Particularly in the light of what Mahatma Said, 

"

I confess to you that, when doubts haunt me, when disappointments stare me in the face, and when I see not one ray of light on the horizon, I run to the Bhagavad Gita and find a verse to comfort me, and I immediately begin to smile in the midst of overwhelming sorrow.”

I think I kept it away for too long. No more. I know unfamiliarity with Sanskrit should not be a reason to shun Gita. So this year, Gita is on the anvil.

I decided to read Gita in English this year.

Have gathered a few like minded friends, who will support in this endeavour. 

will keep posting as I travel along. 


No comments: