Saturday, October 29, 2022

Studying Gita - Step by Step!


 

Bhagavad Gita (referred as Gita). 

A sincere sadhak Vinba Bhave had referred to it as Gitai (Gita + AAI – Mother Gita – AAI is a mother in Marathi).

I always had a longing to study it.

Even I bought a couple of editions – including explanations, etc. in English. Even have three-volume sets of Swami Ranganathananda’s writings on Gita. 

But somehow, I never had an appetite to read it. 

Then I worked on a seminar course (during my doctorate) on Karma Yoga.

Again, I felt the deep need to at least read and get the crux of what Gita is. [Karma Yoga origins are in Gita]

But it always sounds monumental task and slipped away.

Moreover, I don't have any Sanskrit background. I feel it is a handicap.

I think such Everest may be conquered with some structure.

And I came across the Chinmaya Mission course on Gita. 

It's 30 sessions spread over 15 months, each month two lessons. Details are available here:  https://chinfo.org/home/course/bhagavad-gita-course-online/9  .

It is written for beginners and thoroughly in English.

I have decided to take it up.

I plan to start on the Gita Jayanti on 3rd Dec.  [Suggested by Fellow reader]

Long back -while in college I did Chinmaya Mission’s basic Vedanta course developed by Swami Chinmayananda. Not only I enjoyed that course in the pre-internet era (lessons used to come by post – a snail mail), but I learned systematically the basic building blocks of Vedanta.

Making it easy for me to approach other spiritual literature & discussions with confidence. [Incidentally, a friend who did the same program, became a monk and pursued spiritual life] 

Hence it makes sense to look at the Gita course – also developed by the same Institution.

I am certain - structure and chapter-wise lessons will help me to take learning steps slowly but confidently. 

You can find the detailed syllabus here: https://chinfo.org/uploads/include_files/course_9_Bhagavad%20Gita_Syllabus.pdf 

Though the course is paid, if someone has difficulty paying, then you can write to homestudycourses@chinfo.org to make your case and get funding/help. 


Any long or short journey becomes enjoyable if you have companions on the path.

Fortunately, few friends are willing to join the journey with me. 

( If you are also interested in joining this study group – do let me know.)

As of today, we have decided that - learners/readers

1.       Will join this Chinmaya Mission Course mentioned above. Subscribe/buy or get access to it before 3rd December.

2.       Will read and study. The guideline says one lesson in 15 days. Sample lessons are available online. Please take a look. It shall be comfortable to study one lesson in 15 days.

3.       We have a WhatsApp group, but the group will be strictly used to talk about the readings on Gita and nothing else.

4.       We may schedule group discussions. 

5.       If the number of group members increases, we may think of scheduling additional activities related to Gita Study.

Do connect!

Thanks!

 

No comments: